Vision for green city centre
What we aim to achieve
Our vision is for a network of new and enhanced living green corridors, open spaces, walls, roofs and urban farms that are accessible throughout the city centre.
We will grow our urban ngahere with native trees and vegetation to meet Auckland’s target of 30 per cent tree canopy cover.
By restoring our biodiversity and ecological systems (Mauri Tu) we will deliver a healthy and happy city centre.
The value of green space in our city centre
Aucklanders highly value access to green spaces, such as:
- parks, waterfronts and reserves
- trees including street tree planting and public spaces.
As the city centre continues to grow, high quality green space must:
- be accessible, engaging and safe
- exist as an everyday asset and component of streetscapes, public spaces and buildings
- meet the changing needs of Aucklanders and visitors to the city centre
- respond to a changing climate.
More information about green city centre