Te matawhānui mō te ora tūmatanui
Vision for public life
What we aim to achieve
We want to:
- create better public spaces in Auckland’s well-known locations and streets within the city centre
- acknowledge and promote continued growth in the diversity of public life
- improve user experiences through the development of an extensive, continuous, safe and accessible pedestrian laneway network
- support an expanded arts and entertainment offer focused on the Aotea Quarter and Wynyard Quarter
- enable culturally rich, inclusive and creative public arts and events
- deliver an engaging city centre.
Why we want to do this
The Centre for Public Space Research in Copenhagen has defined attributes that make for quality public space that is people-centric and supports public life:
- People need to feel safe from traffic and crime and protected from adverse environmental conditions.
- Public spaces need to be comfortable for passive and active uses including walking, standing and sitting, listening and talking, play and exercise.
- People need to be able to enjoy the spaces, which should be well designed, aesthetically pleasing and allow for activity to spill out from buildings.
More information about public life