Vision for Māori outcomes
What we aim to achieve
- Mana whenua have a prominent, authentic and active presence in the city centre and waterfront.
- Māori life and culture thrives throughout the city centre.
- Te reo Māori is fully integrated within the city centre and waterfront.
- Emergence of a Tāmaki Makaurau design approach founded on the recognition of natural, human and cultural ecologies.
- Mana whenua undertake their traditional manaakitanga role for all visitors and residents.
- Tourism industry benefits from warmth and generosity of mana whenua.
- The Māori enterprise, innovation and investment footprint continues to grow.
- Environmental health indicators benefit from mātauranga Māori environmental management model.
Why we want to do this
Within its city centre, Tāmaki Makaurau has failed to showcase its Māori culture and identity.
We have the opportunity to address this via new cultural infrastructure, enriching our understanding of Tāmaki Makaurau through its mana whenua culture.
This infrastructure will facilitate:
- traditional practices
This move will mean that Māori culture is seen, heard and felt across Tāmaki Makaurau. This move will help cement our city's inter-cultural foundations.
It places Māori at the heart of our strategic approach to planning and investing in key cultural infrastructure to deliver this vision.